Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Love my country India..with all the ups and downs..

Hello guys, was just away for awhile with work and other commitments in life and to be honest my thoughts to write have vanished for sometime now. But yesterday night, there was something in me which reminded me to write.

I was on a short trip to India recently. A Three weeks travel to India in the month of May is the best and worse thing you can ask for in life. As most of you know, its holiday season in India. Being in Melbourne for over 5 years I was extremely happy to see the people buzzing around busy and in good holiday mood. But when you are in holidays taking a break from your usual busy life, you want to have a peaceful and easy trip. Anyways I think I have to stop whining about the crowd and the weather, I wanted to write about other things that I saw in India after a year and a half.

India is grown a long way from where it was 61 years ago and this is something which people know. But the growth in certain areas took me back for a minute. I am not a Financial Analyst to analyse where the growth is from and I really don’t care. People say its cause of the growth in the IT and BPO sector. Where ever the growth is from, is it good or bad?

Now let’s see the good parts of the growth:

1. More modern, quality and good infrastructure. Yeah right from the roads to places where you go out to eat or for a night’s entertainment.
2. All international products are now available at a descent price.
3. Pizza Huts, McDonalds, KFCs, Subways are all over the place.
4. Designer goods can be seen everywhere.
5. A lot of flow and movement in cash.
6. Banking has become a lot easier and a lot cheaper.
7. Things happen much quicker in government and other sectors but still not up to the standards
8. Excellent growth in the real estate market.
And above all the affordability in India is grown a long way. You can see people every where ready to spend any kind of money to enjoy the growth of the country.

But the flip side of the Growth:

1. Every thing is expensive nothing is cheap. I use to boast to my Australian friends, that we all here are idiots to spend the kind of money that we use to. But I can no longer do that.
2. The cost of day to day living has gone up a long way.
3. People’s idea of saving for the future is detoriated. People have started doing a lot of other things these days.
4. Agriculture, the Indian feeding business is no longer the same.

Every change has the impacts in different sectors of people. These above changes, I believe helps only the upper class or the educated sect of people. I can still see people struggling to make their daily life a bit easier.

Now though there is money and more educated people than it use to be 10 years ago, people’s attitude towards other hasn’t changed a bit. Public responsibility is something that I can hardly see. For an example, I was in Chennai at the Mount Road Signal close to Spencers. I saw a guy who was neatly dressed with a Tie, in an expensive motor bike, polished shoes waiting in the signal next to my Car. The first thing that he did right after stoping his bike for signal was to spit in the middle of the road. It’s just not this, but to survive successfully in India, their idea of living is ignore other and push yourself to what you want to achieve right from waiting in the queues, driving in the traffic to your daily day to day stuff. Education hasn’t improved peoples mentality or attitude towards the community.

When I think of all this, I could remember the words from Shankar’s Movie Sivaji… “ Ellam Vanthuduchu…anna ithu innum pogalla” (Meaning Everythings is here and this hasn’t changed)…so simple in India rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer…

Beware my Indian friends…a country’s growth is not just in its economic growth but in the minds of the people as well. Good luck to all of us who want to see India as the best nation to live in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.